In a message sent this week to the director of the Register Office in Lisbon (CRC), the Jewish Community of Oporto shared some information about its films already produced, another that is in production and even a new project that is being considered for the future.
Films about the history of Jews in Portugal have been produced by the Community to promote Jewish culture and combat antisemitism. The Catholic Diocese of Oporto has been a partner in these projects.
Full Message to CRC's director:
“1. This message is intended to provide you with information that should please you. The Community is producing a film about the Lisbon genocide in 1506. The trailer will be available in December of this year and the film will be released in April 2024.
2. As you know, the Community produced the film ‘1618’ which has received many international awards. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfeqAxIinIs&t). It is about an inquisitorial visit to the city of Oporto. It has also produced the film ‘Sefarad’ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-BIa1HSjY), which tells the story of the last century of the Jewish Community of Porto, officially refounded in 1923 by the ‘Portuguese Dreyfus’, Captain Barros Basto.
3. We are thinking of making another film about the Roman Abramovich affair. In December 2021 there were false reports that he had obtained Portuguese nationality based on manipulation of Wikipedia and the funding of the Holocaust museum. The details of this story are astounding.
4. In March 2022, through illegal searches, based on gossip and fake news, enthusiastic police officers trampled on the synagogue. They so much wanted the Sephardic nationalization process of a French citizen who was clearly a descendant of Jews expelled from Iberia and certified correctly by the Lisbon community, that they forgot about Abramovich's certification process, the details of which can be known here.
5. In January 2022, it was reported that the Institute of Registries and Notaries (IRN) had opened an audit to look for irregularities in the process of obtaining nationality by the gentleman referred to in the previous paragraphs.
6. On 16 May 2023, the IRN informed the Jewish Community of Oporto that "an audit took place within the scope of nationality, which considered, in general, that the procedures followed were the correct ones." It added that it rejected "any responsibility for the alleged slander, persecution or crimes that have been committed against the Community."
We ask Your Excellency why the IRN report, that is, the results of the aforementioned audit, have never been made public.
7. It is our hope that the present religious, cultural, educational and material prosperity of our Community may be extended to the organization which you direct. That is why we have donated to the Registry Office all that Mr Roman Abramovich has donated to the Community: namely EUR 250. We know it's not a considerable amount, but it always helps. The Register Office will be able to buy archive covers, lamps and, if money is enough, some umbrellas for this winter.”