Headed by commissioner Marta Santos Pais, who has served as Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General on Violence against Children, the National Programme about the Holocaust Memory - Project Never Forget evokes 27 January by association with initiatives around Portugal:
- Last Folio exhibition at the Museu Coleção Berardo (CCB);
- An exhibition organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the scanning and digitisation of the historical and diplomatic archives on Refugees, Migration and the Holocaust;
- A publication by the Ministry of Education (NOESIS Bulletin) "IHRA Toolkit against Holocaust Distortion";
- In cooperation with Torres Vedras Municipality and the Chair of Sephardic Studies at the University of Lisbon, screening of the film "O jardim da esperança" (The Garden of Hope) by Niki Caro, at Teatro Cine de Torres Vedras;
- Announcement of the Yvette Davidoff Memoshoah Investigation Award at Oeiras Municipal Library;
- Coimbra Court of Appeal in partnership with the Classical Orchestra of the Centre marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day with the concert ‘Never Forget’, to be held in Coimbra on 27 January;
- On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the Oporto Holocaust Museum presents two exhibitions from Washington and Moscow which aim to explore the various complicities throughout the Holocaust: complicities with the National Socialist regime, its crimes, and ideals, as well as the complicities on the part of several individuals towards the persecuted.
The Project Never Forget was set up in June 2020 with the intention of carrying out a broad range of activities to be developed until the end of December 2021. For that reason, this year the Project is not carrying out any of its own programmes on International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
In a statement to the PJN, Marta Santos Pais underlined that “ we are all committed and will continue to be deeply committed to preserving the memory of the Holocaust, including in association with State institutions, state departments and other partners of the Project Never Forget."
Photo credit: Unicef Espanha